Neonatal Nursing in Tasmania
- A career in Neonatal Intensive Care and Special Care nursing in Tasmania offers a wide range of exciting opportunities for Registered Nurses and Resistered Midwives, including participation in emergency retrievals throughout the state.
- Clinical placements are offered to graduate nurses within neonatal units; second and third year undergraduate nursing students and midwifery students can also access neonatal units for clinical placements.
- Direct entry midwives are able to negotiate working in NICU/SCN with the Neonatal Nurse Unit Managers within Tasmania.
If you are interested in applying for neonatal nursing positions within Tasmania, a good starting point is the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website at http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/ in the ‘Careers’ then ‘Nursing’ drop down menu.
Educational support for neonatal nurses through the University of Tasmania
- The University of Tasmania (UTAS) offers a Post Graduate Certificate and Diploma in Nursing with electives in Neonatal Intensive Care and Newborn Special Care Nursing.
- The University encourages applicants from Registered Nurses and Refgistered Midwives across Australia and Internationally who are interested in Neonatal Intensive Care or Newborn Special Care Nursing and are registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia or who are eligible for registration in Australia.
- These courses are conducted fully online however a placement within the clinical area is a prerequisite to achieve the practical component of the course.
- To find out more about this access the University of Tasmania School of Nursing and Midwifery website at: http://www.postgraduate.utas.edu.au/all-faculties-and-institutes/courses/faculty-of-health-science2/nursing
Information updated February 2015